The list below (for undergraduate students) is part of our larger database that collects funding options for undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral research projects, as well as short-term travel grants and placement opportunities, focusing on the area of gene regulation in UK and EU.
Several resources in the list below have been compiled by Carla Mulas (@C_Mulas). Also have a look at the complementary lists of undergraduate studentships compiled by the Royal Society of Biology.
In you want to be hosted in our lab please contact us in advance to formulate a project. If you are a student in our school and want to go to another place for the summer, please feel free to email us for an advice.
*Check the deadlines at the corresponding links as they may change from year to year
Jump to one of these sections:
Undergraduate studentships & placements | Fellowships | PhD programs | Travel grants
Undergraduate bursaries for summer students (applicable to any lab in the UK)
- Biochemical Society Summer Vacation Studentships (deadline 28th February)
- Genetics Society Summer Studentships (application deadline 31st March each year)
- Wellcome Trust Biomedical Vacation Scholarships (NB! Applications scheme changed)
- Physics of Life Summer Bursaries (application deadline to be announced)
- British Society for Cell Biology (BSCB) Summer Vacation Studentships (the project supervisor has to be a member of BSCB for at least one year before the application).
- Nuffield Research Placements for high school students (Summer holidays after Year 12 in England, Wales & Northern Ireland or S5 in Scotland).
Undergraduate summer placements in specific institutes in the UK and EU:
- EMBL-EBI Internship Programme (contact individual labs).
- Amgen Scholars Europe (EU and UK universities). Application deadline: 3rd February.
- University of Cambridge, Experience Postgrad Life Sciences, paid 8-week summer research internships
- CRUK Cambridge . Ten-week undergraduate summer studentship programme will run from 29 June – 5 September. Application deadline: 6th January.
- Dresden, Germany: internships for BSc and MSc students, up to three months, €800 per month. Application deadline: 31st January.
- The Crick Institute, London. Application deadline: 5th February.
- King’s College London. Application deadline: 17th February.
- MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge. Application deadline: 1st March.
- Universities of York, Leeds and Sheffield. Application deadline: 4th March.
- Center for Genomic Regulation, Barcelona, Summer Internship Program for Undergraduate and Master Students. Application deadline: 9 March.
- Norwich Research Park Undergraduate Summer Vacation Bioscience Research Scholarships. Deadline: 11th March.
- The Gurdon Institute, Cambridge. Summer Studentships in Developmental Biology sponsored by The Company of Biologists (application deadline 31st March each year).
- Helmholtz Zentrum München, Germany. Summer Internship Programme in Epigenetics, Cellular Plasticity and Stem Cells. Application deadline: 24th February.
- Institute of Cancer Research, London. Summer Vacation Studentships. Contact ICR hosting lab by 26 February 2020. Submit application by 20th March.
- Barcelona Supercomputer Centre: BSc International Summer HPC Internship Programme. Application deadline: 31st March.
- University of Edinburgh, Integrative Cell Mechanisms Summer Internship Program. Generous stipend (£3,255 for 9 weeks). Application deadline: 6th April.
- MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences. 4–8 week research experience or working as part of the science communication team.
- The Lister Institute of Preventive Medicine Summer Studentships.
- University of Cambridge Synthetic Biology Internships
- Universities of Bristol, Bath, Cardiff and Exeter. Undergraduate placements in the SWBio DTP. Application deadline: 10th May.
- Plant Health Undergraduate Studentships (several UK universities participate in this scheme). Application deadline: 13th May.
- Oxford Big Data Institute Summer Studentship Programme. Deadline: 13th May.
Summer schools for undergraduate students:
- Jonh Innes Centre International Undergraduate Summer School. Application deadline: 18th January
- Vienna BioCenter Summer School: Application deadline: 31st January
- Mainz International Summer School
- Munich, Summer Internship Programme in Epigenetics, Cellular Plasticity and Stem Cells
Internships/placements/programs in commercial companies:
- AstraZeneca Research and Development Graduate Programme
- Illumina Internships Programme
- Earlham Institute Year in Industry Programme
- Evotec Placement Programme
- Johnson & Johnson, Research Student Placement (12 months)
- Guidehouse Summer Internship – Life Sciences
- Lubrizol Student Placements
- Microsoft Research Cambridge internships
- MSD Cell Biology Student Placement Program (12 months)
- Nestle Nutrition Placement
- Novartis Internship Programs
- Pharmaron Undergraduate Industrial Placements
- Pfizer Undergraduate Placements
- Roche Internship Programme
- Vertex Industrial Placement program
Essex-specific undergraduate placements:
- University of Essex Frontrunner and Frontrunner Plus studentships (internal only)
- University of Essex Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (internal only)
Jump to another section:
Undergraduate studentships & placements | Graduate & postdoc fellowships | PhD programs | Travel grants