Undergraduate, graduate, postdoctoral fellowships
Below is a list of fellowships for undergraduate and graduate students and postdocs that can allow you to do research in our lab (and in the UK in general)*,**, ***
*Deadlines indicated below may be from the previous year, check the links to see this year’s deadlines.
**We also maintain a complementary list of graduate programs at a separate page.
***Please contact us in advance to discuss a potential project if you want to be hosted in our lab.
Undergraduate bursaries for summer students and undergraduate job placements:
- Physics of Life Summer Bursaries (application deadline 29th April)
- Genetics Society Summer Studentships (application deadline 31st March)
- Wellcome Trust Biomedical Vacation Scholarships (application deadline 14 February)
- Biochemical Society Summer Vacation Studentships
- University of Essex Frontrunner and Frontrunner Plus studentships (internal only)
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (internal only)
Summer schools for undergraduate students:
- Vienna BioCenter Summer School: Application deadline: 31st January
- Mainz International Summer School
Undergraduate summer placements in the UK and EU:
- Undergraduate summer studentships at the Crick Institute
- Undergraduate summer studentships in CRUK Cambridge. Ten-week programme will run from 29 June – 5 September, 2020. Application deadline: January 6, 2020.
- Internships for BSc and MSc students in Dresden, Germany. Up to three months, €800 per month. Application deadline: 31 January 2020.
Internships/placements/programs in commercial companies:
- Microsoft Research Cambridge internships
- AstraZeneca (Cambridge), Research and Development (R&D) Graduate Programme. Deadline: 12th January 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds Ph.D. fellowships (deadlines 1 February, 1 June, 1 October)
- Wellcome Trust four-year PhD Programmes (Preliminary application by 8th December; full application by 27th April)
- Commonwealth Fellowship (students M.Sc. and Ph.D. students from developed and developing Commonwealth countries).
- Breast Cancer Now PhD studentship (Deadline: 1st July)
- Rosetrees Trust PhD Fellowships (currently closed)
- Medical Research For Children, Research Training Fellowships (Deadline 3rd September)
- University of Essex fellowships, bursaries and self-funding options
Short-term fellowships for postdocs and PhD students:
- Boehringer Ingelheim Short-Term Fellowship (up to 3 months)
- FEBS Short-Term Fellowships (up to 3 months)
- EMBO Short-Term Fellowships (up to 3 months)
- List of travel grants at ECRcentral.org
Long-term postdoctoral fellowships:
- EMBO Long-Term Fellowships (Start application by 8th August, submit by 12th August)
- HFSP Postdoctoral Fellowships (Start application by 8 August, submit by 22nd August)
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships (Deadline 11th September)
- FEBS Long-Term Fellowships (Deadline: 1st October)
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships (Only for UK nationals or UK PhDs) (Deadline for Institutional Approval: 6th October)
- Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships (Preliminary application deadline: 10th October)
- Wellcom Trust Career Re-entry Fellowships (Preliminary application deadline: 10th October)
- Leverhulme Trust Research Fellowships (Deadline: 10th November). (Must be resident of the UK at the time of application)
- BBSRC Returners to Research Postdoctoral Fellowship. (Application any time)
- Daphne Jackson Fellowship after a career break of 2 or more years
- Royal Commission Research Fellowships in Science and Engineering. (Deadline: 16th February)
- Royal Society Newton International Fellowship (check their site for deadlines)
- L’Oreal-UNESCO For Women In Science programme. (Deadline: 25th January)
- List of international postdoctoral fellowships maintained at ECRcentral.org