Following requests from many scientists who have concerns about paying author’s fees to get their research published in a journal (whether it is an open-access or a traditional journal), we are starting below a list of Free High Quality Journals, which do not charge any article fees. To keep focused, we will only list journals directly relevant to the field of gene regulation.
Free — determined by whether the author is mandatory required to pay for the publication in the journal or not (this excludes optional payments, such as optional open-access, optional colour figures, optional language correction services, etc). Some open-access journals declared that they temporarily allow free submissions (e.g. for the first several years); such journals will be also included in the list below. (My personal preferred type of a free journal is Wellcome Open Research — it is free both for authors and readers, OA paid directly by the funding agency — I believe that this is the future of scientific publishing).
High quality — determined by the overall journal’s quality as based on the composition of the editorial board, editorial policies, thorough peer-review, etc. I do not use IF and journal’s ranks to stratify journals, only to prove that all the journals selected below are good enough to be included in this list.
List of high quality journals relevant to gene regulation, which do not charge author’s fees (alphabetic)
- AIMS Biophysics and AIMS Genetics (AIMS press, launched in 2014, free open-access for the first three years, $200 per article in the following years).
- Annual Reviews of Biophysics (Traditional, IF: 12.250, rank: 1/74); Also see Annual Reviews of Genetics, Annual Reviews of Biochemistry and other Annual Reviews Journals (but these are not for primary research articles);
- BioEssays (Wiley, optional OA, IF: 4.730);
- Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry (Free OA, IF: 2.762) and Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology (Free OA, IF: 2.670).
- Bioinformatics (Oxford Press, optional OA. IF: 4.981, rank: 3/56);
- Biopolymers (Wiley, optional OA. IF: 2.385, rank: 40/73, 170/289);
- Briefings in Bioinformatics (Oxford Press, optional OA. IF: 9.617, rank: 3/79; 2/56);
- eLife (OA. HMMI, Wellcome Trust, MPG. IF: 9.322. Regular fees $2,500, but an application for a fee waiver is possible unrelated to the geographic location);
- Gene (Elsevier, optional OA, IF: 2.135);
- Journal of Biological Physics (Springer, traditional, IF: 1.152, rank: 61/74);
- Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics (Tailor and Francis, optional OA, IF: 2.919, rank: 30/74);
- Journal of Cell Science (The Company of Biologists, IF: 4.706, free for authors, free for readers after 6 moths + optional immediate OA);
- Journal of Molecular Biology (Elsevier, traditional, IF: 4.333);
- Journal of Theoretical Biology (Elsevier, traditional, IF: 2.116);
- Molecular BioSystems (Royal Society of Chemistry, optional OA, IF: 3.210);
- Philosophy, Theory and Practice in Biology (University of Michigan, OA, free for authors)
- Physical Biology (IOP Science, optional OA, IF: 2.536, rank: 28/74);
- ScienceOpen Research (ScienceOpen, free OA, launched in 2014).
This list is just started, please send me your suggestions by email!